Monday, May 17, 2010

Charcoal vs Propane


As I was taking my walk around the neighborhood yesterday; well actually my dog Sammy was the one taking a walk, I was still half asleep as it was 6:30 am. I passed a house that had a Weber barbeque out front and a sign that said “FREE”. It appeared that they were doing a spring clean-up and the grill was meant to go as part of that clean-up. I couldn’t resist stopping and looking at it and I was curious to see what kind of shape it was in. When I opened the top to look it I saw that it was actually in fine shape and was very tempted to go get my car and bring it home! The thought of grilling burgers, chicken and steaks over white hot coals was almost too much to resist. Then reality settled in and I remembered that I have a wonderful propane grill at home and there was no need to have another grill as well. With a bit of remorse, I put the top back on and continued the walk. It got me thinking about Propane vs. Charcoal for grilling. They both have advantages and disadvantages, and as far as pure barbecuing flavor, I think that charcoal wins hands down. There is also something to be said about the whole process of setting up the coals and the anticipation of waiting for the grill to become the right temperature. I do recommend that if you are using charcoal that you avoid using lighter fluid or ready to light briquettes.

Many a steak has been ruined by having an oily residue taste when the fluid has not been burned completely off. I recommend using a chimney fire starter. Not only will your grill get hotter, faster. It will also reduce the secondary flavoring that lighter fluid may cause.


Now for propane, there is certainly nothing better for a quick after work grilling. All you have to do is remove your grill cover, start the grill and by the time you go back in and get your food. The grill is ready. Oh yes, there is indeed a caveat. Make sure you have propane. I think we all have had the unfortunate case of going to start the grill and finding out that the tank is empty or it runs out while cooking. While there are several devices on the market to let you know how much gas is left. I think that the best option is to have a backup tank filled and ready to go, especially during the busy grilling season. Keep you eyes open for a used tank at garage sales. That is certainly an affordable insurance policy against disappointed guests.

As far as flavor, propane does not have the same taste of charcoal but you can use wood chips for added flavor (be sure to soak them first and wrap them in foil for easy removal and clean-up.)

So who wins this contest? In my opinion, it’s a toss up. The real winners are your guests after you serve them delicious food cooked the way they like it. Although the old school charcoal gets my sentimental vote, I think that the ease of propane puts it right up there.

Oh, and by the way, the Weber grill was gone in the afternoon, and I do own a small “Smoky Joe” Weber that can be used for picnics or camping when I do want to grill old school.

May your grill always be hot, and may your beer always be cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment